- TORNADO OUTBREAK!!
- Wow is all I can say about today...
- We had one of my most intense tornado
experiences in all my years of storm chasing. We were not expecting
much from today. It was the last day of tour 1 and there was
only a 2% tornado probability, so we would have been happy with
just about anything.
- Well, we ended up seeing 6 tornadoes.
5 of them were of the landspout variety (including several at
the same time), but the big show came in Rago, Kansas where we
had a photogenic, violent tornado cross the road right in front
of us, well less that 100 yards away.
- The white tornado kicked up a dark,
reddish-brown cloud of dirt as it crossed the road, ripping up
trees and tossing debris around. It was intense. We had to back
up because it was curving north, towards us.
- One remarkable thing was the sound
it made. I've heard tornadoes before, but this one was the loudest
I've ever heard. Partially because it was so close, and partly
because it was flinging around a lot of debris.
- It did some damage to a few structures
in the area, including damaging a giant wind turbine.
- What an epic day, especially since
it was the last day for the tour one people.
- Watch the awesome video here: