- March 18 2019 - The Explorers Club Annual Dinner
- The past few days have been an absolute
blur. I don't know where to begin. The Explorers Club Annual
Dinner was the biggest ever held, with almost 1700 people in
attendance at the Marriott Times Square Ballroom. The theme this
year was a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing.
In attendance were 8 Apollo astronauts, including Buzz Aldrin,
and Michael Collins from Apollo 11. Hearing their stories was
fascinating. I hope we get people back on the Moon again soon.
- Other highlights included:
- - Snacking on exotic foods such as
tarantulas, cockroaches, scorpions, iguana, and jellyfish. These
odd foods have been a tradition at ECAD for decades.
- - I got to meet Her Excellency the
Right Honourable Julie Payette, Canada's Governor General, and
a former astronaut herself.
- - Hanging out with so many incredible
people, seeing new friends, making new ones, all who are incredibly
- - There were so many excellent presentations
at the open house at club HQ on Sunday. The place was packed!
- - I got to spend a bit of time with
Apollo 9 astronaut Rusty Schweickart. An amazing guy, who is
currently working on systems to protect Earth from asteroid collisions.
- - I was able to spend a few nights
with my frequent storm chase partner Scott McPartland, and his
wife Cecilia. They graciously let me stay with them when I visit
- It's impossible to summarize how outstanding
ECAD weekend really is. I will always endeavor to be there, when