- Jan 31 2019 - Polar Vortex
- It was the wrong day to eat lunch outside...
- North America is in the grip of another
polar vortex, a dome of cold Arctic air that has descended down
from the north. Many cities have been experiencing frigid temperatures,
and bone-chilling wind-chills.
- In Toronto, it has been freezing cold
as well, with temperatures diving down below -20.
- Of course, with temperatures that cold,
a lot of people were outside demonstrating the effects of the
cold. The most popular of these demonstrations is the old "toss
boiling water into the air and watch it instantly turn to snow"
- Instead of doing that, I whipped up
a quick batch of ramen noodles and left them outside for a brief
period. The water froze quickly and the chopsticks were held,
suspended in the air by the frozen noodles.
- It's a fun trick that anyone can do
at home in really cold weather. I highly recommend trying this
with kids. It's fun, safe, and afterwards, you can thaw the noodles
out and eat them!