- March 10 2018 - Explorers Club Annual Dinner
- It was a tremendous honour to be invited
by The Explorers Club to serve as the Master of ceremonies for
their annual gala, black tie dinner fundraiser in New York City.
- The event, referred to by James Cameron
as the "Academy Awards of Exploration" was held at
the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. The event saw almost 1200
of the world's top explorers gather together to celebrate this
year's theme "Next Generation Exploration"
- Some highlights of the evening included:
- - The "exotic" hors d'oeuvres
which included: scorpions, cockroaches and tarantulas. Roasted
iguana, jellyfish salad and much more.
- - Meeting Jeff Bezos, the richest man
in the world, and founder of Amazon.com and Blue Origin space
- - Meeting astronauts Jim Lovell (Apollo
13 commander) and Mike Massimino (Upgraded the Hubble space telescope)
- - Hanging out with Les Stroud (Survivorman)
- - I also got to meet Robert DeNiro.
- Name dropping aside, the evening was
fantastic. I got to see so many old friends, and make many new
ones. There were actually fours days of events revolving around
the club including board meetings, chapter chair meetings, luncheons,
an open house, and I even gave a presentation at the clubhouse
on the Sunday afternoon after ECAD. I can't wait for next year...
It might take that long for my hangover to wear off!